Students with Dependents Additional Funding

Being a student with additional responsibilities, such as having children, being a carer for a friend or family member, or having an adult which depends on you financially can bring additional financial challenges during your time at university.

However, it may mean that you are eligible for some additional financial support. Most of this support is only available to students who are entitled to access public funds.

Students with Children or Dependent Adults

If you are single and have dependent children, you may be eligible for some Universal Credit even whilst you study. You can use the government’s website to find out whether you are eligible, what you could get, and how to make an application. Find specific GOV.UK guidance on claiming Universal Credit if you’re a student.

If you are already receiving Universal Credit prior to enrolling upon your course at university, you must immediately report a change of circumstances to ensure that you do not receive an overpayment which could significantly financially impact you. This is because Universal Credit counts student loans for maintenance and any grants within your household income so this may impact the amount of Universal Credit that you are eligible for.

You may be eligible for support with covering the costs of childcare, including a registered childminder, nanny, childcare agency, registered school, or home care worker. This is called “approved childcare.” Follow GOV.UK’s “Get Childcare: Step-by-Step” guide which takes you through whether you are eligible for childcare costs and what support you can get, how to get help paying for childcare, what to do if your circumstances change, and what to do when your child reaches school age.

If you have a child with a disability who is under 16, you may be entitled to Disability Living Allowance (DLA) for support with any additional costs. They must meet all of the eligibility criteria. You can find out how to make a claim here. When your child turns 16, they will instead need to apply for Personal Independent Payment (PIP).

Any children under 16 are eligible for free prescriptions, as well as any children between 16-18 and in full-time education. There are also multiple other reasons that you may be eligible for free prescriptions. Find out who can get free prescriptions and check what help you could get to pay for NHS costs. Find out which application form to use to apply for free NHS prescriptions if you think that you are eligible.

If you are a student with children or dependent adults, you may be eligible for additional funding from Student Finance.

You can find a summary of much of this information here.

Students with Caring Responsibilities

If you are a young adult carer, the University offers a significant amount of support – including the Fair Access Scheme, a Carers community, and additional support such as through Success Coaches, Academic Personal Tutors, or the University’s Health and Wellbeing Team.

If you care for someone at least 35 hours a week and they are in receipt of certain benefits, you may be eligible for Carer’s Allowance (but only if you are on a part-time course – students on full-time courses are not eligible for Carer’s Allowance). You do not have to be related to, or live with, the person that you care for. Please note however that Carer’s Allowance can have an impact on other benefits. If you believe you are eligible, and have considered the impacts that it may have on other benefits and have decided that it is financially beneficial, you can find out how to make a claim.

You must ensure that you report any changes in your circumstances as soon as possible.

If you are a carer and over 18, you may wish to have a Carer’s Assessment to see what help is available that may make your life as a carer easier. This will include a financial assessment to decide if the council will help pay towards care costs.

Many people are eligible for Council Tax discounts, including many carers who live with the person that they care for. Apply for a council tax discount here.

The person that you care for may also be eligible for some benefits based on their circumstances.

How can Your Advice Service help you?

We can help you in assessing what additional funding that you may be eligible for, or in writing and submitting an application for any of the funding mentioned above.

You can contact us by completing an Enquiry Form. Please outline what funding you believe that you may be eligible for and what support that you need (assessing eligibility or making an application) on your enquiry form.

Powered by MSL