As an independent organisation to the University, we are unlicensed to give any visa advice. We have gathered information relating to Visas from the University and Government websites and will include it, and links to further information, below.

Your Students' Union Advice Service is a free, independent and confidential service for all students.

Do I need a visa to study in the UK?

  • Students from the European Economic Area (EEA) or Switzerland – if you are not already a resident in the UK or do not have settled/pre-settled status, you will need a Student visa to enter the UK for studies lasting longer than six months.
  • Students from non-European Union (EU) countries – all non-EU nationals must have a Student visa to enter the country before travelling to the UK, if coming for a course lasting more than six months.

You can apply for a visa up to 6 months before the start of your course and you should get a decision on your visa within 3 weeks. You can check how long getting a visa might take in your country on the website.

What is the right visa?

If you are coming to the UK to study for 6 or month months, you will likely need a Student visa. This visa also allows for part-time work and for you to bring your family to the UK as dependants. You must meet certain requirements to be eligible for a Student visa which you can find here.

You must have received your CAS letter and have all other supporting documents ready.

If your visa application is approved, you will be issued with a temporary entrance sticker in your passport which provides you with 90 days to enter the UK and collect your BRP. You will need to request an Alternative Collection Location (ACL) when you complete your visa online form.

  • Coventry University and CU Coventry - 2HE452
  • Coventry University London - 2HE457

Find the application process and other information here.

Only for students who want to study an English language course in the UK lasting more than 6 months and up to 11 months. If you are applying to study a Pre-Sessional English course, you should apply for a Student visa.

This visa cannot be extended and you cannot switch to another visa category whilst in the UK. Find the application process and other information here.

Gives you permission to stay in the UK for at least 2 years following successful completion of your course. You must be in the UK when you apply.

  • No restriction on kind of work that you do and you can change jobs
  • No minimum salary
  • Does not require sponsorship
  • Partner and children under 18 can extend their permission to join you as dependants on this Visa as long as they already have permission to stay in the UK.

Find eligibility criteria, documents that you need to apply, how much it costs, and how to make an application.

Extending Your Visa

You may need to extend your visa because you need to:

  • Resit exams or repeat modules
  • Apply after working as a Students’ Union sabbatical officer t complete a qualification you started under your last Student visa
  • Complete a PhD or other doctorate that you started studying under your last Student visa
  • Complete your studies because you want to (or have done) a work placement or study abroad programme.

To extend your visa you must be in the UK on a Student visa or a Tier 4 (general) student visa. If you have dependents with you in the UK

Find more information on extending your visa on the University website here and on the website here.

More information

Follow the University’s Visa Checklist to make sure you have taken all the steps in the visa application process before starting your studies.

Read the University’s Frequently Asked Questions on visas. Find the University’s Jargon buster guide to common terms used in the visa process which can be confusing.

If you need support with the visa process, you can contact the Visa Team. Email Please allow 5 working days (not including weekends and Bank Holidays) for a response.

Powered by MSL