Your Advice Service

Moving in

Are you moving into a new property? Read our top-tips to make sure that you know your rights, responsibilities, and how to protect yourself as a tenant.

No ratings yet. Log in to rate.
A member of Your SU staff providing information to a student A member of Your SU staff providing information to a student

Moving into a new house or accommodation can be daunting but Your Advice Service is here to help you figure out what steps to take to make sure that you’re protecting yourself and know your rights as a tenant from day one.


The first thing to check is your deposit. Is your deposit secured in a Deposit Protection Scheme and have you received email confirmation of this? If you have signed an Assured Shorthold Tenancy Agreement then your landlord legally has to place your deposit in one of three government approved Deposit Protection Schemes:

  1. Deposit Protection Service (DPS)

  2. My Deposits

  3. Tenancy Deposit Scheme (TDS)

If your deposit is not in a Deposit Protection Scheme, contact your landlord as soon as possible to let them know that this is something you expect. If you do not receive a reply or if your deposit is not put in a protected scheme, please contact Your Advice Service.


Secondly, make sure that you have read your tenancy contract and understand your rights and responsibilities as a tenant. Pay special attention to things such as your limits for electric, water and gas usage if you have bills included, when your rent is due and how much each instalment is as well as who is liable for repairs. A tenancy contract is legally binding and so once you have signed it you must abide by what is in it. This also means that the landlord and estate agency are legally bound to comply by the clauses in the contract.


On the day that you move in, complete the inventory if this is something that you have been asked to do by your Landlord/ Estate Agency. If you have not been asked to complete an inventory then create your own and send an email to your Landlord/ Estate Agent. This inventory should include:

  • Appliances that were provided for you such as microwave, kettle, washing machine and dryer (their serial numbers, photos of them and notes of the condition of them)

  • Any furniture and photos of any damage or marks on them

  • Photos of any damage or marks in any part of the house (including in outdoor spaces).


You should also take meter readings of your gas and electric on the day that you move in. Take note of their current levels and keep a note of them so that you can ensure that you are staying within your reasonable usage limits if you have bills included and that you aren’t being overcharged. If you pay your bills separately then it is important to know how much gas and electricity you are using each month to make sure that the company is charging you the correct amount.


As Your Advice Service we are here to help you with any queries or difficulties that you face with your housing. Find more information and guidance on any housing issues you might face on Your Students’ Union website. If you cannot find the answer here and have further queries or require additional support from us then please complete an Enquiry Form and attach any evidence, contracts or anything else that you feel is relevant.


No comments have been made. Please log in to comment.

Website design by Elliot Parker and Your SU. Powered by MSL.