Your Advice Service

Accommodation Types and Options

CoventryEECfahFBLhlsself-supporting studentsStudents with ResponsibilitiesWellbeing
No ratings yet. Log in to rate.

For many, University life involves moving away from home. There are several types of accommodation you could move to and we want to make sure you are aware of the most common types.

We hope this information supports you in making a more informed decision; you should not feel pressured into signing a tenancy agreement straight away, seek advice from Your Advice Service if you feel you need it. 


University Owned Halls:

The University owns several Halls of Residence that are managed by the FutureLets lettings agency.

This type of accommodation is popular with first year undergraduate and postgraduate students as it is often easier to arrange through the University.


  • 24/7 security with a manned reception desk and access to the University Protection Service
  • Varied rooms available such as studios, shared flats and optional ensuite bathrooms. 
  • Rent is usually inclusive of all utility bills (internet, electric, gas and water)
  • Often close to or on campus. All accommodation is within a 10 to 15 minute walk. 
  • More opportunities to meet new people – flats of up to 12 people in some accommodations. 
  • Offer individual contracts rather than shared contractual agreements. This means that you are financially responsible for your own room and use of the shared facilities and that you pay an individual deposit.


  • Can be expensive with en-suite room prices starting at £167.
  • Surrounded only by students so it’s harder to integrate yourself into the wider Coventry community.
  • Can be loud, especially during Welcome Week with student parties.


Private Halls

There is an abundance of private halls of residence either in or close to Coventry City Centre. This type of accommodation is similar to University-Owned Halls, with a few key differences: 

  • Often a 24/7 manned reception but no access to the University Protection Service.  
  • Often have longer contracts (usually 51 weeks). This means that you may be paying for accommodation outside of the times you’re at university and have teaching.
  • Sometimes have different payment schedules which don’t align with student finance– you may have to pay your first instalment in July/ August before receiving any maintenance loan. Check this before signing anything!

If you want to come and meet the private halls providers Your Students' Union reccomend, visit us in The Hub on Tuesday 31st January between 10am and 3pm for our Housing Fair. 


Private House Or Flat Share

Privately renting a room in a shared house or flat (house of multiple occupancy – HMO) is a popular option for those on a budget, those who want to move in with a group of friends or like shared communal areas, and those who prefer houses to halls.


  • Offers the option to rent with friends.
  • Often do not include household bills – this means you get opportunity to learn how to do this and learn key skills for post-university life.
  • Varied priced accommodation available. They are often cheaper than halls.


  • Less privacy with shared communal areas.
  • Often have a joint responsibility for rent, bills and cleaning.
  • Varied quality accommodation so you will need to check thoroughly during viewings 
  • Varied levels of security 
  • May have a shared contractual agreement meaning you pay one large deposit and have a lead tenant. This often means if deposit is deducted at the end of the rental agreement, it is deducted from all equally regardless of who caused the damage.


Privately Renting Alone

Some students may prefer to live on their own for various reasons. 


  • Varied types of accommodation available such as studios, flats and houses. 
  • Individual contract – you are solely financially responsible for yourself.
  • More privacy and freedom as there are no communal shared spaces.
  • Often do not include household bills – this means you get opportunity to learn how to do this and learn key skills for post-university life.


  • Varied levels of security. 
  • May still have to use paid washing machines in communal areas.  
  • Can be lonely for some students.  


Living With A Resident Landlord

A cheaper option is renting with a resident landlord and becoming a lodger; it is important to note that under these circumstances you will have less rights than a tenant. 

  • Contracts may be fixed for a certain period of time or be flexible.
  • Can be cheaper than other renting options.
  • Rent may be inclusive of bills.
  • There might be house rules that restrict your freedom and independence.

You can learn more about lodging on the Citizens Advice Bureau Webpage


Next Steps

You can view some of the available accommodation options at The Students’ Union Housing Fair which we run every year. Sign up to our Mailing list here to get updates on when our next Housing Fair will be. We also have more advice on choosing your accommodation.If you have a specific question or issue you can also contact us by sending an Enquiry Form.

Before making yuor mind up about what type of accommodation you want to live or before signing your contract, remember you can speak with Your Advice Service to ask any questions and even have your contract checked over before you sign. Visit Your Advice Service at our Housing Fair on Tuesday 31st January between 10am and 4pm in The Hub


No comments have been made. Please log in to comment.

Website design by Elliot Parker and Your SU. Powered by MSL.