Your Advice Service

Students vs. Landlords, Right and Responsibilities

When you sign a contract for your housing, you are agreeing to doing certain things and acting in a certain way and it's important you are aware of this. We also think its just as important for you to be aware of your landlords responsibilities and what they should be doing once you have a signed a contract with them.

CoventryinternationalLondonScarboroughself-supporting studentsWellbeing
No ratings yet. Log in to rate.

Your Rights & Responsibilities are contained within the scope of your rental contract (e.g. Assured Shorthold Tenancy). The majority of students will have Assured Shorthold Tenancies which give certain legal rights, but other rights and responsibilities may be added to your contract after discussion with the landlord. If you are a member of a House of Multiple Occupancy (more than five tenants) you have additional rights as your landlord has to hold a valid license.  For more information on HMO’s go to

If you have any questions about your rights or responsibilities as a tenant or any housing related questions, visit Your Advice Service at the Housing Fair in the Hub on Tuesday 31st January between 10am and 4pm. If you are a student at one of our London or Scarborough campuses, you can contact Your Advice Service online if you have any housing related questions or issues. 

Your Rights and Responsibilites as Tenant


  • Pay your rent and any other bills on time.
  • Report repairs which need to be carried out
  • Allow necessary access to do repairs etc. (normally with 24 hours notice of their arrival).
  • Avoid causing nuisance or disturbance to other people within your community.
  • Take care of the property and its furniture, fixtures and fittings.
  • Ensure there is a Gas Safety Certificate for the property.
  • Request a current Electrical Safety Certificate.
  • Ensure the property is fire safe.
  • Keep to any agreement with regard to bills and make sure they are paid before you leave.
  • Supply copies of your Council Tax Exemption letters to the local authority.
  • Take out content’s insurance for your personal property.



  • To be left alone to live in your accommodation without interference from the landlord..
  • To have repairs carried out promptly and to a decent standard..
  • To be covered by a current Gas Safety Certificate.
  • To have furnishings that comply with the Furnishings and Furniture (Fire Safety) Regulations 1988.
  • To have a written copy of the tenancy agreement.
  • To live in your accommodation without fear of harassment.


Your Landlord's Responsibilities


Your landlord is responsible for most of the repairs in your home. Their responsibilities will include:

  • Electrical wiring
  • Gas pipes and boilers
  • Heating and hot water
  • Chimneys and ventilation
  • Sinks, baths, toilets, pipes and drains
  • Common areas including entrance halls and stairways 
  • The structure and exterior of the building (this includes walls, stairs, bannisters, roof, external doors and windows)

Once these problems have been fixed if they occur, your landlord should also redecorate. 

If you have any of these problems in your home, you should make your landlord or the letting agency aware as soon as possible and where possible in writing via email (including any pictures). Shelter provide template letters on how to contact your landlord or letting agent about repairs on their website. Your landlord must carry out the repairs within a reasonable time period. You should also always check your tenancy agreement for any additional responsibilities your landlord has in relation to repairs. 

If you are experiencing a problem and are unsure who is responsible to fix it, are unsure about how to contact your landlord and are having problems with getting your landlord to repair an issue you have raised, contact Your Advice Service for support



Your landlord legally has to be protect your deposit if you are signing an assured shorthold tenancy. Your landlord has 30 days from the date they receive your payment to either protect within an authorised scheme or provide you with certain written information about your scheme. When your deposit is protected this means that if there are any disputes about the return of the deposit at the end of your tenancy, an independent organisation will review the situation and rule on what should happen with the deposit. You can find more information about deposit on Your Advice Service webpages and if you need support in raising a deposit dispute, you can contact Your Advice Service for help to do this. 


Accessing Your Home:

You must allow access to your home at reasonable times if the landlord or someone acting for them wants to inspect the condition of the property. You are however, entitled to at least 24 hours' written notice of an inspection. You are also able to ask for a different date and time that suits you better. 



Harassment is anything that your landlord, or other tenants, do to make you feel unsafe in your own home.

Some common forms of harassment are:

  • Entering your accommodation without prior warning (especially your own room)
  • Not carrying out repairs and leaving the property to fall into a dangerous state. 
  • Changing locks while you’re out  
  • Making threats
  • Sending repair workers around without notice
  • Being abusive
  • Refusing guests entry
  • Any other form of harassment, for example based on race, culture, gender or sexuality.


If You Feel You’re Being Harassed:

  • Keep a log of dates, times and occurrences, and take photos if appropriate and possible.
  • Try to get an independent witness to any conversations you have with the person who is harassing you.
  • Write to the person complaining about their actions. This could be a text or email but having it written as evidence is important.
  • Keep copies of all letters and emails.
  • Contact Your Advice Service for advice and support. 
  • If you are in immediate danger, you should call 999. 


Should you run into any difficulties with regards to your rights and responsibilities contact Your Advice Service for advice and support. Don't forget you can also come and speak with Your Advice Service at Your Students' Union Housing Fair on Tuesday 31st January between 10am and 4pm in The Hub


No comments have been made. Please log in to comment.

Website design by Elliot Parker and Your SU. Powered by MSL.